Thursday, August 24, 2006

A chip off the old block?

As my oldest son Kelsey prepares to enter high school, I’m reminded of myself: a stubborn, individualistic teen-ager. I was above average, but certainly not the smartest, most motivated kid in class; some of those kids were, however, my closest friends.

But back to my son: from our library, he recently borrowed Ayn Rand’s The Romantic Manifesto: A Philosophy of Literature. I’ve not read it, but I own Rand’s For the New Intellectual: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand, in which Kelsey has expressed interest.

I mention that because Jonathan Wilde points to something from: From the Archives that I (and probably you as well) can identify with:
There is one sure way to ruin a smart kid. If you take a smart, hurt kid, and give him anything by Ayn Rand, all hope is lost. I haven’t read any Rand, so I can’t argue content with anyone. But I can tell you how Rand works as a black box. You put a hurt, smart kid through Rand, and you get out an insufferable, pleased-with-himself Libertarian.